Sitting at the breakfast table the other day with the kids, I asked them what was their best moment of 2013. As I sat and listened to them think about all the things they are proud of, or experienced over the last year, it made me smile. #LuckyDad.
Most of Patrick’s best moments centered around sports: all the goals he scored in soccer, watching the Tigers in the World Series and sinking a basketball shot at the buzzer on his last game…just to name a few.
Elizabeth was most proud of her making a travel soccer team this summer. That and paddle boarding on Lake Michigan for the first time.
So, as I thought about what are my best moments for the Great Lakes in 2013…I created a laundry list of stuff in my head. Lots of good stuff happened. And lots of not so good stuff. Instead of making a lengthy deal out of this, I thought I would do it in #hashtags. I mean, all the kids are doing it these days….
1) Congress Shuts Down the Government. #Disfunctional #UnfrozenCavemanLawyers
2) Massive Algal blooms take over Lake Erie and shut down town’s water supply. #IsLakeErieDeadAgain?
3) New information reveals that Asian carp can swim past electrical fence into Lake Michigan. #NoSurprise #WeHaveBeenSayingThisForYears #GameChanger #CarpKeepSwimming #PermanentSeparationIsTheAnswer
5) Michigan adopts hunting and fishing license fee increase. #SportsmenAreBackboneForWildlife
6) Congress cuts funding for the highly successful Great Lakes Restoration Initiative. Then restores it days later. #GreatLakesAreNonpartisan
7) New Sportsmen and women bill introduced. #ThankYouSenatorsHaganPryorThuneRisch
8) While camping on the Au Sable River this summer, I taught the kids how to fly fish. #TeachYourChildrenWell #PatrickHookedABrownButDidntKnowIt #KidsLoveToCampAndFish #CaddisHoperDropperRules